The Tony Awards started off with a funny musical salute to the ‘losers’ of the night by co-hosts Josh Groban and Sara Bareilles.
The first Tony Awards of the night is for Leading Actor in a Play and it went to Andrew Garfield for Angels in America who was the predicted winner in the category.
Featured Actress in a Play went to Laurie Metcalf for Three Tall Women. Laurie was not favored to win this award at a +600. The favored winner was Denise Gough for Angels in America which is the most nominated show of the night.
By the way, here’s my PSA of the night — I know this is a sports betting site, but support theater too!
Bruce Springsteen received a special Tony Award, presented by none other than Billy Joel.
Titus Burgess presented the award for Featured Actress in a Musical and it went to Lindsay Mendez for Carousel who, at -400, was the odds favored to win the award.
The Best Book of a Musical winner was The Band’s Visit and David Cromer won for Direction of a Musical for The Band’s Visit as well.
The next Tony Award was presented was for Featured Actor in a Play and the winner was Nathan Lane for Angels in America, who at -500 was the odds favored to win.
Uzo Aduba presented the award for Featured Actor in a Musical and it went to Ari’el Stachel for his work in The Band’s Visit. “I want every kid to know that your biggest obstacle may turn into your purpose.” Amen.
Claire Danes presented the award for Leading Actress in a Play and it went to Glenda Jackson for Three Tall Women and, at -1200, she was highly favored to win.
The next Tony Award presented was for Best Play and the winner of the award was Harry Potter and the Cursed Child and, at -750, they were highly favored to win the award.
The Best Revival of a Play is up next and the much-talked-about Angels in America won, and was expected to win at -300.
After hearing snippets of all the nominees of The Best Revival of a Musical, the Tony Award goes Once on This Island. At +450, this category was a massive upset against My Fair Lady.
It’s time for the Leading Actor in a Musical and it went to the favored Tony Shaloub for The Band’s Visit. He was favored at +125.
With six nominees in the Leading Actress in a Musical category, it went to Tony Shaloub’s co-star of The Band’s Visit Katrina Lenk. She was favored to win at -300.
The final Tony Award of the night — Best Musical — was presented by the legendary Bernadette Peters. To remind you of the nominees, they were:
The Band’s Visit: -950
Mean Girls: +750
SpongeBob SquarePants: +750
The winner of Best Musical 2018 is … The Band’s Visit!
Not a big surprise there, but that sums up a wonderful night of performances, awards and reminders of believing in diversity and differences and being helpful to others. Yes, I know this is a betting site, but if you’re going to put your money on anything, I love the fact that it’s drawing attention to theater.
Well done Josh and Sara.
- 2018 World of Dance: The Qualifiers 4, Recap and Odds - June 21, 2018
- 2018 American Ninja Warrior Episode 4, Recap — ICYMI - June 20, 2018
- 2018 America’s Got Talent Odds and Recap of Tryouts - June 20, 2018
- 2108 So You Think You Can Dance Odds and Recap of Tryouts - June 19, 2018
- 2018 Best Baker in America — And the winner is… - June 19, 2018
- 2018 RuPaul’s Drag Race Recap and Odds — It’s the Semi-Finals! - June 15, 2018
- 2018 American Ninja Warrior Odds and Recap Episode 3 – More Qualifiers - June 14, 2018
- 2018 World of Dance Episode 3 Odds and Recap – It’s Heating Up! - June 14, 2018
- 2018 So You Think You Can Dance Odds and Recap, Ep. 2 - June 13, 2018
- 2018 America’s Got Talent Recap and Odds, Episode 3 – Golden Buzzer Used! - June 13, 2018