The Los Angeles Sparks travel out east to take on the Connecticut Sun on Thursday, May 24, 2018. The Sparks are leaving no doubt that they are the team to beat this year, as they have opened 2-0, including a victory over the 2017 WNBA champions, the Minnesota Lynx. Connecticut is also undefeated, winning their first game of the season.
Los Angeles Sparks
What a great beginning to the season for the Los Angeles Sparks. They narrowly defeated the Lynx on Sunday, 77-76, before crushing the Indiana Fever on Tuesday, 87-70. They have a good chance of moving to 3-0 and have not even played a game at home.
Los Angeles is doing all the little things right early on. They are averaging 82.0 ppg while shooting 45.3 percent from the field. They are only averaging 8.5 turnovers per contest while creating 19.5. Those are the kinds of numbers that a team can use to catapult themselves.
What is amazing is that the Sparks are winning despite the fact that Candace Sparks has not even played yet. Nneka Ogwumike has picked up the slack, averaging 22.0 ppg through the first two contests. She is also grabbing 9.5 boards per game, making her a completely unstoppable force at this point.
The backcourt of Odyssey Sims and Chelsea Gray are combining for 34.o ppg and 7.0 assists. This is the kind of production they need if they are going to go all the way, and they are getting what they need early.
The Connecticut Sun opened the season, absolutely crushing the Las Vegas Aces, 101-65. This team simply plays well together. They put up 27 assists and shot 46.5 percent from the floor and 52.4 percent from behind the arc. What was most impressive was the defensive performance, as they held the Aces to just 26.5 percent from the field. The Suns also had 13 steals.
Alex Bentley led Connecticut in scoring with 18 points in just 23 minutes. Alyssa Thomas had an unbelievable night on the boards, grabbing 17 including 13 defensive rebounds while also adding 6 assists. Jasmine Thomas also had 6 assists to go along with her 12 points.
Odds (Provided by BetDSI Sportsbook):
Los Angeles (-155) vs. Connecticut (+2)
Los Angeles (N/A)
Los Angeles Sparks
- Sparks are 4-1 against the spread in their last five games on the road.
- Sparks are 14-5 against the spread in their last 19 games against a team with a winning record.
- Sparks are 20-7 in their 27 games overall against the spread.
- Sparks are 13-3 against the spread in their last 16 games against Eastern Conference foes.
- Sun are 1-4 against the spread in their last five games against Western Conference teams.
- Sun are 0-4 against the spread in their last four games following a victory.
- Sun are 2-5 against the spread in their last seven games at home.
- Sun are 2-5 in their last seven games against the spread.
Connecticut looked good in their opening game victory, but this Sparks team is simply on a mission. They have what it takes to go all the way and we have not even seen Parker at this point. One can only imagine how good this team will be, and the Sun are simply no match, even at home. Take the Los Angeles Sparks, 78-64.
The Pick: Los Angeles Sparks
- Sports Betting Tips with Chris Sheridan Episode 6: The first over/under win total lines for the 2018-19 NBA season are already posted - July 20, 2018
- 2018 World Cup Odds: France vs. Croatia Betting Preview and Free Pick - July 13, 2018
- 2018 World Cup Odds: Belgium vs. England Betting Preview and Free Pick - July 12, 2018
- Who Else Could Join LeBron James and Sign with Los Angeles Lakers this Summer? - July 12, 2018
- With LeBron James Moving to the West, What Teams Have the Highest Odds of Winning the Eastern Conference? - July 10, 2018
- 2018 World Cup Odds: Croatia vs. England Betting Preview and Free Pick - July 9, 2018
- 2018 World Cup Odds: France vs. Belgium Betting Preview and Free Pick - July 8, 2018
- 2018 World Cup Odds: Russia vs. Croatia Betting Preview and Free Pick - July 5, 2018
- 2018 WNBA Odds: Los Angeles Sparks vs. Minnesota Lynx Betting Preview and Free Pick - July 5, 2018
- 2018 World Cup Odds: Sweden vs. England Betting Preview and Free Pick - July 4, 2018