The Buffaloes took everyone by surprise and surged to a Pac-12 South title and a Pac-12 Championship Game appearance in 2016, but weren’t able to sustain the momentum in 2017. While very few, if anyone, predicted Colorado to repeat as Pac-12 South champs in 2017, going from first to worst may have caught some by surprise.
Colorado has posted just one winning season over the past decade. The Buffaloes return Steven Montez at quarterback, but will that be enough to return to a bowl in 2018?
Buffaloes 2018 regular season win total
Colorado 2018 regular season win total
Over 5.5 (-115)
Under 5.5 (-115)
Odds courtesy of BetDSI Sportsbook.
What Happened Last Year
The Buffaloes got off to a 3-0 start as they breezed through non-conference play, but were unable to maintain any of that momentum once conference play began. The Buffaloes lost their first three Pac-12 contests, gained a little steam in the middle of the season as they won two of three and then closed the season on a three-game losing streak.
What Will Change This Year
Not only do the Buffaloes have some big shoes to fill on its offense, but they also have a rough schedule to navigate. Colorado, which was a perfect 3-0 in non-conference last season, will begin the season with its annual game against Colorado State and also hosts New Hampshire, but there’s also a road trip to Nebraska in week two.
Additionally, the Buffaloes have back-to-back road games against USC and Washington and after a week four bye, finishes its season with nine straight games.
As far as personnel, Montez will be back at quarterback, but that’s about it as far as the skill positions are concerned. Phillip Linday, who put up 1,474 yards and 14 touchdowns, graduated along with each of Colorado’s top three receivers. Montez threw 18 touchdowns compared to just nine interceptions a season ago and while an extra year of experience can only help, the lack of experience alongside oh him may be too tough to overcome.
Outlook & Prediction
With a tough schedule, a history that shows winning seasons are few and far between and a plethora of question marks on the roster, it’s hard to imagine the Buffaloes season ending in a bowl game. Colorado simply has too much to overcome this season to be able to string together enough wins to qualify for the postseason. Take the under.
- 2018 College Football Odds: Arizona State Sun Devils Season Win Total - May 31, 2018
- 2018 College Football Odds: Arizona Wildcats Season Win Total - May 30, 2018
- 2018 College Football Odds: USC Trojans Season Win Total - May 29, 2018
- 2018 College Football Odds: UCLA Bruins Season Win Total - May 22, 2018
- 2018 College Football Odds: Utah Utes Season Win Total - May 22, 2018
- 2018 College Football Odds: Colorado Buffaloes Season Win Total - May 21, 2018
- 2018 College Football Odds: Oregon Ducks Season Win Total - May 17, 2018
- 2018 College Football Odds: Stanford Cardinal Season Win Total - May 16, 2018
- 2018 College Football Odds: California Golden Bears Season Win Total - May 14, 2018
- 2018 College Football Odds: Oregon State Beavers Season Win Total - May 11, 2018