In the lone matchup of the English Premier League round 6 scheduled for Sunday, two teams that played in the Championship last season will now lock horns as the new members of the English top tier. Newcastle United is having more success among the English best teams so far, holding the 4th spot in the table, while the Brighton team is ranked at the 16th position with 5 points behind their Sundays opponent. Newcastle has won both of their matchups last season in the Championship, and the last time Brighton celebrated a win against Newcastle was back in 2012 and 2013 in the FA Cup game.
Brighton vs. Newcastle United
Three-Way: 1: Brighton +188; X: ++229 Draw; 2: Newcastle United +193
Spread 0: Brighton -103; Newcastle United +102
Total +2: Over -120; Under +116
We have already mentioned that Brighton has been victorious over Newcastle before, but it was a while back, and it was in an FA Cup match. Now, their fans hope for some points against the Magpies in the Premier League as well, especially considering that these points would help them escape the danger zone. At this moment, the Seagulls have collected only 4 points so far and are point level with the 18th ranked Everton FC. Those points came in the home win over West Bromwich (3:1) and an away draw against Watford (0:0). The remaining matches (against Leicester, Bournemouth and Manchester City) all ended in a loss.
Meanwhile, the Seagulls have played two Cup games, defeating the lower-division participant Barnet (1:0) and losing in the next round to Bournemouth (0:1) after the extra time. In this loss, Brighton decided to send mostly the second unit player onto the pitch, probably resting the best players for the upcoming match against Newcastle.
All players should be well rested and ready to go full strength, except the injured Sidwell and Kayal, while also the forwards Brown and Baldock are listed on the injured players list and will certainly miss this game.
On the other side, the Newcastle United Magpies, are showing some exciting football, after returning back to the English top tier. Still, the return alongside the best of the English football had its toll, as the Magpies suffered two losses in the first two rounds (0:2 home loss to Tottenham and 0:1 loss to Huddersfield), while also being eliminated from the League Cup competition to Nottingham Forrest, 2:3 after the extra time. Still, the Newcastle players managed to stay mentally strong and won their next three consecutive Premier League matches. Seems like the experienced manager Rafa Benitez has found the right way to motivate his players. The Magpies celebrated home wins over West Ham (3:0) and Stoke City (2:1), while also defeating Swansea (0:1) on the road.
Winning these three straight games is mostly why the Newcastle team is currently ranked so high at the table and why they will enter the contest against their old Championship rivals much more relaxed. Still, there will be not much room for relaxing as the Benitez boys are fully aware that Brighton is under a lot of pressure to win points and that they will give their all to come out victorious in this matchup.
The forward Mitrovic will miss this game due to suspension, while the goalie Darlow and defenders Dummett and Haidara are out due to injuries.
Brighton vs. Newcastle United – Match Prediction
Despite the fact that the visitors are entering this contest after three consecutive wins, I still give the slight advantage to the hosts, having in mind that they are desperate to win points if they want to climb out of the relegation zone. Therefore take the AH on the Brighton team.
MY PICK: Brighton AH 0 (-103)
- RPI vs NET: What Are the Differences? - September 6, 2018
- NFL Teams With The Best and Worst Betting Home-Field Advantages - September 5, 2018
- 5 Tips for the Beginning Sports Bettor - September 4, 2018
- Sports Betting Tips with Chris Sheridan Episode 6: The first over/under win total lines for the 2018-19 NBA season are already posted - July 20, 2018
- 2018 World Cup Odds: France vs. Croatia Betting Preview and Free Pick - July 13, 2018
- 2018 World Cup Odds: Belgium vs. England Betting Preview and Free Pick - July 12, 2018
- Who Else Could Join LeBron James and Sign with Los Angeles Lakers this Summer? - July 12, 2018
- With LeBron James Moving to the West, What Teams Have the Highest Odds of Winning the Eastern Conference? - July 10, 2018
- 2018 World Cup Odds: Croatia vs. England Betting Preview and Free Pick - July 9, 2018
- 2018 World Cup Odds: France vs. Belgium Betting Preview and Free Pick - July 8, 2018