Any talk that DeMarcus Lawrence would play out another season on the franchise tag was officially silenced Monday when news broke that the 26-year-old defensive end agreed to a five-year, $105 million contract with the Dallas Cowboys that included $65 million in guaranteed cash.
Demarcus Lawrence's big contract extension comes after a season in which he tied for the league lead in tackles for no gain or a loss against the run. pic.twitter.com/aoOoeUHPOR
— Pro Football Focus (@PFF) April 8, 2019
If Lawrence had played all season on the franchise tag, he’d have earned a guaranteed $20.5 million. Last season, Lawrence recorded 64 tackles, 15 tackles for a loss, two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and 10.5 sacks to go with 23 quarterback hits. It was the second consecutive season Lawrence recorded double-digit sacks. Last year, on the franchise tag, Lawrence hauled in a cool $17.1 million. He’s been named to the Pro Bowl for the last two seasons.
Lawrence will collect $31.1 million in the first year of the deal. His $65 million guaranteed has him ranked No. 4 in defensive guaranteed money behind only Khalil Mack, Aaron Donald and Von Miller.
— DeMarcus Lawrence (@TankLawrence) April 6, 2019
Buccaneers hosting Marquis Brown, Giants bring in Clelin Ferrell and Ed Oliver
With the NFL draft a little more than two weeks away, teams are rolling up the frequent flyer miles. Monday, the New York Giants brought in Clemson defensive end Clelin Ferrell and Houston defensive tackle Ed Oliver for visits.
The #Giants, who pick 6 & 17, are hosting a pair of top DL prospects: #Clemson DE Clelin Ferrell and #Houston DT Ed Oliver. Ferrell has also spent time with the #Bucs & #Panthers. … #Charlotte G Nate Davis is headed to #Bills on a 30 visit after spending time with the #Titans
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 8, 2019
The Giants are obviously focused on adding to their defense. Last week they brought in Clemson defensive lineman Dexter Lawrence, Devin White from LSU and Nick Bosa of Ohio State, who will be long gone by the time the Giants make their official pick at No. 6. If they fall in love with Bosa, it’ll take a trade to get him.
Tampa Bay needs to shore up its receiving corps after trading DeSean Jackson and losing Adam Humphries in free agency. Monday, they’ll be meeting up with Marquise Brown from Oklahoma. Brown did not participate in the NFL’s scouting combine because of Lisfranc surgery. He is the top-rated receiver on many draft boards.
- Bills Add Yeldon, Stafford’s Wife Home and More - April 22, 2019
- Seahawks Want First Rounder for Clark, Watson Might Return and More - April 21, 2019
- Jackson Working at Safety, Goff and Rams Not Talking Contract and More - April 20, 2019
- Bryce Love’s Knee, Falcons Sign Hageman and More - April 19, 2019
- Redskins and Ioannids Reach Extension, NFL Schedule is Official and More - April 18, 2019
- Final Pre-Draft Visits, AAF Files for Bankruptcy and More - April 17, 2019
- Russell Wilson Gets Record Deal, Gurley Knee Update and More - April 16, 2019
- Carson Wentz Still Hurt, Wilson and Seahawks Talk Contract - April 15, 2019
- Falcons Sign Davison, Allen and Fant Take Rookie Visits and More - April 14, 2019
- Eagles Cornerback Arrested, Patriots Re-Sign Chung and More - April 13, 2019