Detroit Tigers at Houston Astros Odds
Vegas is listing Houston (-350) as the favorite over Detroit (+275). Bettors can wager on the game’s total with odds sitting at -115 for over 7.5 runs and -105 for under 7.5. Bettors can also wager on the game’s runline with the odds standing at +140 for the Tigers +1.5 runs and -160 for the Astros -1.5.
The Tigers are only 40-57 SU and have gone 50-46 against the spread (ATS). They’ve lost 3.0 units for bettors taking the moneyline and 5.0 units ATS. The Astros, on the other hand, are 64-34 SU and 49-48 ATS. They’ve gained 3.1 units for moneyline bettors while gaining 4.0 units ATS.
Houston games have an over/under record of 43-49-5 so far in 2018. Detroit has also been a strong under bet with a total record of 37-56-3.
Francisco Liriano will get the nod for the visiting Tigers. The southpaw Liriano is 3-5 with a 4.74 ERA and 60 strikeouts. He has yet to face the Astros this year and only made one start against them in 2017 (1-0, 4.50 ERA and four strikeouts over six innings).
The Astros will put the ball in the right hand of Justin Verlander (9-4, 2.05 ERA), who has 160 strikeouts and 24 walks this season as well as a 0.83 WHIP. Verlander did not record a start against the Tigers in 2017.
Detroit’s pitching staff allowed 4.7 runs per game and its starting pitchers own a 4.42 ERA, 1.29 WHIP and 7.28 K/9. The bullpen has an ERA of 4.48, along with a WHIP of 1.29.
Tigers hitters have slashed .245/.306/.384 on their way to 3.9 runs scored per game this season, including 3.1 runs per game over the team’s last 10 games and 2.8 per game over the team’s last five outings (0-5 SU).
Detroit’s hitters have been paced by right fielder Nicholas Castellanos and shortstop Jose Iglesias. Castellanos is hitting .308/.363/.523 with 15 home runs, 56 RBIs and 54 runs scored, while Iglesias (.268/.308/.375) has produced two homers, 34 RBIs, 29 runs and 12 stolen bases.
In the other dugout, Houston’s pitching staff has given up 3.1 runs per game overall this season. Its starters have a 2.98 ERA, 1.07 WHIP and 10.3 strikeouts per nine innings. The bullpen has recorded a solid ERA of just 2.78, a WHIP of 1.04 and a K/9 of 10.7.
The Houston offense has produced 5.1 runs per contest, including 5.4 per game over its last 10 games and 5.0 per game over its last five. The team has slashed .253/.305/.425 over its last five contests and is 3-2 SU during that stretch.
The Astros’ hitters have been led by second baseman Jose Altuve and third baseman Alex Bregman. Altuve is slashing .335/.398/.475 with nine home runs, 44 RBIs, 63 runs and 14 steals, while Bregman’s line is .288/.388/.538 with 20 homers, 64 RBIs and 66 runs.
The Tigers have lost 11.8 units and are 34-37 ATS when facing a righty starter this season. The over has hit in 25 of those games, compared to 44 that’ve gone under against right-handed starting pitchers. On the other hand, the Astros have lost 5.5 units and are 15-20 ATS when facing a left-handed starting pitcher. The over’s hit in 15 of those games, as opposed to 19 which went under the total.
Detroit Tigers at Houston Astros MLB Tip
Predictions: SU Winner – Astros, ATS Winner – Tigers, O/U – OVER
The under has cashed in five of Detroit’s last seven games.
Houston has recorded 23.6 Runs + Hits + Errors per game over its last 10 contests and 22.6 over its last five.
The Tigers have hit seven home runs in their last 10 games. The Astros have hit 13 over their last 10.
- Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils vs. Hawaii Rainbow Warriors Odds Preview 12/16/18 - December 16, 2018
- Norfolk State Spartans at Loyola Chicago Ramblers Free Preview 12/16/18 - December 16, 2018
- Cleveland State Vikings at Illinois State Redbirds Betting Preview 12/16/18 - December 16, 2018
- Cornell Big Red vs. Niagara Purple Eagles Odds Preview 12/16/18 - December 16, 2018
- Miami (OH) RedHawks vs. Northern Kentucky Norse Free Preview 12/16/18 - December 16, 2018
- Samford Bulldogs vs. Auburn Tigers Odds Preview 12/16/18 - December 16, 2018
- FGCU Eagles vs. UMBC Retrievers Free Preview 12/16/18 - December 16, 2018
- UC Riverside Highlanders vs. UTEP Miners Free Preview 12/16/18 - December 16, 2018
- Drexel Dragons vs. Quinnipiac Bobcats Odds Preview 12/16/18 - December 16, 2018
- Troy Trojans vs. Western Kentucky Hilltoppers Odds Preview 12/16/18 - December 16, 2018