The entire basketball world waited anxiously to learn where LeBron James would sign — especially his potential suitors. In the end, it came down to the Lakers (his ultimate selection), Cavaliers, and Sixers. So, how did Lakers General Manager Rob Pelinka learn he had won the prize — landing the best basketball player on earth?
Via text. A simple text, actually, from Rich Paul, LeBron’s agent. Pelinka revealed as much in an interview with Spectrum SportsNet.
How did GM Rob Pelinka find out LeBron would join the Lakers? Via text from James’ agent.
“The text just said ‘Congrats,’ and it had balloons,”Pelinka said. “It was one of those moments in life you’ll never ever forget.”
Full interview w/ Pelinka + Magic at 3 pm on @SpectrumSN
— Mike Bresnahan (@Mike_Bresnahan) July 10, 2018
Paul is the leader of the Klutch Sports agency. Monday, Klutch tweeted a photo of Pelinka, Paul, and James officially announcing the four-year contract.
— Klutch Sports Group (@KlutchSports) July 10, 2018
After LeBron signed with L.A., the team also added his longtime rival and agitator, Lance Stephenson. But it turns out LeBron really wanted to play with Lance. He reached out to Born Ready directly.
“I was actually surprised he made the move to LA,” Stephenson said Tuesday at his introductory press conference with the Lakers. “I guess he needed a new look, and I just feel like him reaching out and showing he likes what I bring to the game, it’s amazing. I’m just happy to be on a team that wants to win.”
In addition to James and Stephenson, the Lakers added JaVale McGee and Rajon Rondo. Furthermore, they landed Moritz Wagner and Svi Mykhailiuk in the draft.
L.A. returns a wealth of young talent: Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, and Josh Hart. The Lakers are expected to contend for the Western Conference title with the Rockets and Warriors. See the latest title odds at BetDSI Sportsbook.
- Sports Betting Tips with Chris Sheridan Episode 5: Kawhi Leonard To The Knicks? - July 14, 2018
- The Rockets Reportedly Made Clint Capela A Monster Offer - July 12, 2018
- Here’s How Rob Pelinka Learned LeBron Was Signing With The Lakers - July 11, 2018
- Kyrie Irving’s Injury In 2015 Playoffs Reportedly Annoyed LeBron ‘To No End’ - July 10, 2018
- Celtics Rookie Robert Williams Has Rare Artery Condition In Legs - July 10, 2018
- The Cavs Are Reportedly Actively Shopping Kyle Korver, Not Kevin Love - July 9, 2018
- There Is Reportedly A ‘Strong Sense’ Marcus Smart Will Return To Celtics - July 9, 2018
- Sports Betting Tips with Chris Sheridan Episode 4: Looking at the Kawhi Leonard Trade Situation - July 8, 2018
- Amir Johnson Will Reportedly Return To The Philadelphia 76ers - July 4, 2018
- Harry Giles Regrets Playing As A Freshman At Duke - July 4, 2018