A new deal for one of the game’s most recognizable managers, another injury to a budding young star and the continuing trend of teams locking up young players before they hit free agency. Read up on that and more in today’s top MLB news.
Terry Francona is probably best known for his time with the Red Sox, but if that hasn’t changed already, his new contract with the Indians might do the trick
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) April 3, 2019
With Bryce Harper already playing for the opposition, an unfortunate play in Washington leaves the Nationals without another young star.
Trea Turner has a non-displaced broken right index finger. No timetable for his return, but Davey Martinez was pretty sullen talking about the injury.
— Mark Zuckerman (@MarkZuckerman) April 3, 2019
Former Braves manager Bobby Cox reportedly had a stroke and is in the hospital. Best wishes for the Hall of Famer.
Breaking: Hall of Fame Braves manager Bobby Cox was taken to a hospital after suffering a possible stroke. Please keep Bobby in your thoughts and prayers 🙏🏼 pic.twitter.com/1MaXqtlkFJ
— Zach Klein (@ZachKleinWSB) April 3, 2019
The man seriously injured in a fight outside Dodger Stadium seems to have improved slightly, but questions remain about the team’s security.
Attorneys for the man critically injured in an attack at Dodger Stadium say the incident is “eerily similar” to a 2011 assault, and say the team has not done enough to improve security https://t.co/tV95N9c6CF
— KTLA (@KTLA) April 3, 2019
Two more teams locked up young players before they hit free agency, continuing a trend around Major League Baseball.
did he just get the money missing from the Acuña deal https://t.co/eZZTb5ThF8
— keithlaw (@keithlaw) April 2, 2019
• A good fit: Cleveland Indians extend manager Terry Francona’s contract through 2022| Cleveland.com
• Nats SS Turner hit by pitch, fractures finger | ESPN.com
• Hall of Fame manager Bobby Cox hospitalized, report says | Sporting News
• Man attacked after Dodgers game responds to doctors, remains on life support | Sporting News
• German Marquez, Rockies Reportedly Agree on 5-Year, $43M Contract Extension | Bleacher Report
• Blue Jays join extension craze, sign Randal Grichuk to five-year deal worth $52 million | CBS Sports
- Top Posts from Pete Alonso, Athletics, Royals and More - April 19, 2019
- A’s sign Khris Davis, Dodgers Boast Pitching Depth and More - April 19, 2019
- Examining Unwritten Rules, Red Sox Keep Struggling and More - April 18, 2019
- Top posts from Tim Anderson, the Yankees and More - April 18, 2019
- Top Posts from Russell Wilson, Tom Brady and More - April 16, 2019
- Top posts on Yasiel Puig, Christian Yelich and More - April 16, 2019
- Mookie Betts blames himself, Ohtani Nears Return and More - April 16, 2019
- Clayton Kershaw set for debut, Kimbrel’s latest demands and More - April 15, 2019
- Top posts from Manny Machado, Aaron Judge and More - April 15, 2019
- Vladimir Guerrero Jr. Almost Ready, Phillies Eye Bumgarner and More - April 13, 2019