Offense meets defense when the Michigan Wolverines (14-4, 3-2 Big 10) head to Michigan State to take on the No. 4 Spartans (16-2, 4-1 Big 10). The game is scheduled to begin at 12 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 13, 2018.
Michigan Wolverines vs. Michigan State Spartans Free Prediction
In the Wolverines’ last matchup, they were defeated by the No. 5 Purdue Boilermakers, 70-69. Purdue’s effective field goal percentage was their biggest strength over Michigan. The Boilermakers had a rate of 0.579 (below their season average of 0.582), while the Wolverines posted a mark of 0.534. Xavier Simpson led Michigan in scoring with 15 points on 6-for-10 shooting.
The Spartans defeated the Rutgers Scarlet Knights in their last game, 76-72. Getting to the charity stripe was one of Michigan State’s largest strengths. They had 34 free throw attempts, while Rutgers had just 15. Nick Ward led Michigan State in scoring with 17 points on 5-for-9 shooting.
The game should be a matchup of strength against strength as the high-powered offense of Michigan State (fifth in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 122.4) takes on the top-notch defense of Michigan (24th in the NCAA with a defensive efficiency of 93.1). Moreover, the Wolverines rank 13th in turnover percentage (15.2 percent), while the Spartans rank 288th in opponents’ turnover percentage (17.2 percent).
After splitting two games last season, this will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Wolverines won the most recent matchup 86-57. The Wolverines had a much better turnover percentage (11.9 vs. 28.8) and had a much better free throw rate (0.226 vs. 0.125).
Michigan Wolverines at Michigan State Spartans Betting Pick
Predictions: SU Winner – Michigan, ATS Winner – Michigan, O/U – Over
Michigan State ranks fourth in rebounds per game (43.0) while Michigan ranks 206th (33.9).
The Wolverines rank seventh in three pointers allowed per game (16.1) while the Spartans rank 152nd (22.6).
Michigan ranks fourth in steals allowed per game (4.3) while Michigan State ranks 113th (6.7).
The Spartans rank first in blocks per game (8.0) while the Wolverines rank 103rd (3.3).
Michigan State leads the nation with 21.7 assists per game while Michigan is 49th with 15.9 assists per game.
The Wolverines’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 18.2, up from 14.4 for the season.
During their last five games, the Spartans have scored an average of 90.0 points per game (4.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 65.2 points per game (2.2 above their season average).
- Boston Red Sox vs. Toronto Blue Jays Free Preview 04/24/18 - April 24, 2018
- Washington Nationals at San Francisco Giants Matchup 04/24/18 - April 24, 2018
- Minnesota Twins vs. New York Yankees Matchup 04/24/18 - April 24, 2018
- Arizona Diamondbacks at Philadelphia Phillies Matchup 04/24/18 - April 24, 2018
- Miami Marlins at Los Angeles Dodgers Free Preview 04/24/18 - April 24, 2018
- Los Angeles Angels at Houston Astros Free Pick 04/24/18 - April 24, 2018
- Milwaukee Brewers vs. Kansas City Royals Matchup 04/24/18 - April 24, 2018
- San Diego Padres vs. Colorado Rockies Matchup 04/24/18 - April 24, 2018
- Detroit Tigers vs. Pittsburgh Pirates Free Pick 04/24/18 - April 24, 2018
- Oakland Athletics vs. Texas Rangers Matchup 04/24/18 - April 24, 2018