NFL football is back with a full slate of games set to kick off Week 1 of the preseason. Don’t expect to see the main stars of the league for too long as most of them just make cameos. While that makes it tricky to handicap, some coaches have already made some announcements about inactives. Here are some of the key players that won’t be suiting up:
Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers
It isn’t a surprise that Roethlisberger won’t play against the Philadelphia Eagles on Thursday night. Roethlisberger traditionally plays in one exhibition game before the regular season and that should be the case again this year.
The Steelers are a three-point dog at Philadelphia. Expect to see plenty of Landry Jones, Josh Dobbs and rookie Mason Rudolph.
Antonio Brown, Pittsburgh Steelers
Brown might not have played this week anyway, but a quadriceps injury will definitely keep him out of football gear on Thursday night. Brown didn’t practice Tuesday or Wednesday but head coach Mike Tomlin is optimistic he will be back on the field next week.
T.J. Watt, Pittsburgh Steelers
The second-year linebacker will also sit out for Pittsburgh as he continues to deal with a hamstring injury. Other Steelers inactives include Vance McDonald and Bud Dupree.
Carson Wentz, Philadelphia Eagles
The Eagles will be careful with their starting quarterback early in the preseason. Wentz is working his way back from a torn ACL and Zach Berman of The Philadelphia Enquirer has reported he might not take any snaps throughout the preseason.
Nick Foles, Philadelphia Eagles
The Eagles will not have Foles available as he continues to deal with a shoulder injury and neck spasms. With Wentz and Foles out, Philadelphia will turn to Nate Sudfeld and Joe Callahan under center this week.
Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers
Rodgers will not be active for Green Bay’s preseason game against the Tennessee Titans. ESPN Packers Insider Alex VandenHouten reported that Green Bay will give DeShone Kizer and Brett Hundley the bulk of the snaps.
The Packers face the Titans and the game is listed as a PICK.
Vontaze Burfict, Cincinnati Bengals
Bengals quarterback Marvin Lewis didn’t reveal much about his roster for Thursday’s preseason game against the Chicago Bears, but did confirm Burfict will not play. Burfict was cleared to return to practice on Monday but likely won’t play much this preseason with a four-game suspension hanging over his head to begin the regular season.
Joey Bosa, Los Angeles Chargers
There has been no official word from the Chargers but Bosa could be among the inactives for Week 1 of the preseason after suffering a foot injury in practice. Bosa isn’t expected to miss much practice time but Los Angeles could be cautious with its star linebacker throughout the exhibition slate.
Tom Brady, New England Patriots
Brady has played in just one of the Patriots last four preseason openers. We’re not really expecting to see him here given his age. Brian Hoyer will work most of the first half. The Patriots are a three-point favorite home to Washington on Thursday night.
- Super Bowl MVP: Odds, Analysis and Pick - January 23, 2019
- MLB Betting: 2019 MLB Futures Bets - January 22, 2019
- Sports Betting Tips with Chris Sheridan: Episode 44 What should the Pelicans do with Anthony Davis? - January 21, 2019
- Will Antonio Brown be traded? Here are the betting odds… - January 20, 2019
- NFL Playoffs: Conference Championship Underdogs to Bet On - January 17, 2019
- AFC Conference Championship: Odds, Previews and Pick - January 15, 2019
- Sports Betting Tips with Chris Sheridan: Episode 41: What’s up with the Celtics? - January 14, 2019
- Will the Clemson Tigers make the 2020 CFP Championship Game? - January 12, 2019
- Divisional Round Underdogs to Bet On: NFL Playoffs - January 9, 2019
- Divisional Round Odds, Previews and Picks: AFC Playoffs - January 8, 2019