The Oakland Athletics will head west to face off against their divisional rival Los Angeles Angels at Angel Stadium of Anaheim. The matchup will get going at 10:07 p.m. ET and fans can tune in to NBC Sports – California to catch the action.
Oakland Athletics at Los Angeles Angels Odds
The Athletics are 67-46 SU and have gone 59-56 against the spread (ATS). They’ve accumulated 26.6 units for bettors taking the moneyline and 1.1 units ATS. Oakland has covered the spread four times in its last seven games and the under has hit in six of those seven. The Angels, on the other hand, are 56-58 SU and 52-64 ATS. The team’s lost 8.3 units for bettors taking the moneyline and 19.0 units ATS. Los Angeles has covered the spread five times in its last seven games and the under has cashed in four of those seven.
Los Angeles games have a 50-57-9 over/under record in 2018. The Athletics have an over/under record of 53-55-7.
Edwin Jackson will get the start for Oakland. The right-handed Jackson is 3-2 with a 2.87 ERA and 35 strikeouts. He has yet to face the Angels this year and only made one start against them in 2017 (1-0, 2.57 ERA and three strikeouts over seven innings).
The Angels will put the ball in the right hand of Felix Pena (1-3, 4.97 ERA, 1.47 WHIP), who’s got 36 strikeouts and 17 walks this season. Pena is 0-0 with a 9.00 ERA against Oakland this year.
Oakland’s pitchers have allowed 4.2 runs per game and its starting pitchers own a 4.21 ERA, 1.23 WHIP and 6.57 K/9. The bullpen has an ERA of 3.31, along with a WHIP of 1.23.
The Athletics offense has slashed .249/.323/.431 on its way to 4.8 runs scored per game this season, including 4.4 runs per game against divisional foes and 4.6 per game over the team’s last five outings (5-0 SU).
Oakland’s offense has been sparked by shortstop Marcus Semien and second baseman Jed Lowrie. Semien is slashing .257/.317/.368 with seven home runs, 39 RBIs, 61 runs and 12 stolen bases. Lowrie (.267/.347/.458) has produced 17 homers, 68 RBIs and 48 runs scored.
In the other dugout, Los Angeles’ pitching staff has allowed 4.3 runs per game overall in 2018. Its starters have an ERA of 4.12, a WHIP of 1.28 and a strikeouts-per-nine of 8.7. The bullpen has a 3.75 ERA, 1.37 WHIP and 8.8 K/9. In 40 divisional games, Angels starters have an ERA of 3.31 and the bullpen’s ERA is 4.06.
The Los Angeles hitters have produced 4.5 runs per contest, including 5.3 per game against divisional foes and 3.6 per game over their last five. The team has hit .213/.275/.354 over its last five contests and is 2-3 SU during that span.
Shortstop Andrelton Simmons and outfielder Mike Trout have paced the Angels’ offense this year. Simmons is slashing .306/.360/.431 with seven home runs, 52 RBIs and 55 runs scored, while Trout’s line is .309/.459/.624 with 30 homers, 60 RBIs, 82 runs and 21 stolen bases.
The Athletics have gained 22.2 units and are 38-36 ATS when facing a righty starter this season. The over has hit in 36 of those games, compared to 35 that’ve gone under against right-handed starting pitchers.
Oakland Athletics at Los Angeles Angels Free MLB Tip
Predictions: SU Winner – Angels, ATS Winner – Athletics, O/U – OVER
Oakland has logged 18 extra-base hits over its last five contests. Los Angeles has 14 XBH over its last five.
Los Angeles has posted 21.2 Runs + Hits + Errors per game over its last 10 outings and 17.6 over its last five.
The Athletics have hit 12 home runs in their last 10 games, including seven over their last five.
- Western Illinois Leathernecks vs. Northern Illinois Huskies Odds Preview 12/17/18 - December 17, 2018
- Northern Colorado Bears vs. New Mexico State Aggies Free Preview 12/17/18 - December 17, 2018
- North Dakota State Bison at Montana Grizzlies Betting Preview 12/17/18 - December 17, 2018
- SIUE Cougars vs. Drake Bulldogs Free Preview 12/17/18 - December 17, 2018
- Ball State Cardinals at Valparaiso Crusaders ATS Preview 12/17/18 - December 17, 2018
- UIW Cardinals vs. UIC Flames Odds Preview 12/17/18 - December 17, 2018
- California Baptist Lancers at Southeastern Louisiana Lions Odds Preview 12/17/18 - December 17, 2018
- Seattle Redhawks at Portland Pilots Odds Preview 12/17/18 - December 17, 2018
- Pepperdine Waves vs. Oregon State Beavers Odds Preview 12/17/18 - December 16, 2018
- Chicago State Cougars vs. Northwestern Wildcats Betting Preview 12/17/18 - December 16, 2018