Each team’s fourth game of the season, the Philadelphia Flyers and the Ottawa Senators take the ice at Canadian Tire Centre in an Eastern Conference showdown. Sportsnet will air the game, and the action gets underway at 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, October 10.
Philadelphia Flyers at Ottawa Senators Odds
The Senators are 1-2 straight up (SU) and have earned 0.5 units for moneyline bettors this year. That early-season winning percentage is a regression from the 28-54 record that the team managed during last year’s regular season campaign.
Ottawa’s successfully found the net on 12.5 percent of its power play opportunities in 2018-19. That’s a significant drop-off from last year, when the team was ranked 26th in the league by scoring on 16.5 percent of its extra-man advantages. Its penalty kill has fallen off noticeably year-over-year as the team’s gone from successfully defending 76.1 percent of opponents’ power plays (ranked 27th overall last season) to 71.4 percent this year.
As a collective unit, Ottawa has been penalized 2.7 times per game this season, a number that has improved from the 3.5 penalties per game given up last year. After serving an average of 8.1 penalty minutes per game a year ago, the team has had to stave off opponent power plays for only 5.3 minutes per matchup this season.
Averaging 36.5 saves per game with a .913 save percentage, Craig Anderson (one win, one loss, and one OT loss) has been the primary goalkeeper for the Senators this year. If head coach Guy Boucher decides to give him a breather, however, the Sens might turn to Mike Condon (0-1-1 record, .828 save percentage, 5.02 goals against average).
Thomas Chabot and Zack Smith will each spearhead the attack for the Senators. Chabot (five points) has tallied two goals and three assists while Smith has one goal and three assists to his credit so far in the early stages of the season.
Philadelphia is 1-2 straight up (SU) and has earned 0.5 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through three regular season contests, two of its games have gone over the total, while none have gone under the total and none have pushed. Philadelphia’s 1-1 SU as a road team this season.
Philadelphia’s scored on 23.1 percent of its power play chances this year after converting on 19.9 percent of its extra-man opportunities last season (a percentage that was right in line with the league average). The team’s gone from successfully defending 76.3 percent of opponent power plays (ranked 26th overall last season) to 75.0 percent this year.
Philadelphia’s skaters have been penalized 5.0 times per game this season, a number that has climbed noticeably from the 3.6 penalties per game given up last year. After serving an average of 8.6 penalty minutes per game a year ago, the team’s had to stave off opponent power plays for 10.0 minutes per outing this season.
Brian Elliott (.869 save percentage and 4.70 goals against average) has been the primary option in goal for Philadelphia. Elliott is averaging 31.0 saves per game and owns a 1-2 record.
Wayne Simmonds (three goals, one assist) and Claude Giroux (zero goals, four assists) have been standout playmakers for Philadelphia and will pace the offensive counter for the visiting Flyers.
Philadelphia Flyers vs. Ottawa Senators Free Picks
Pick: SU Winner – Flyers, O/U – Over
The over has hit in three of Ottawa’s last five outings.
Ottawa’s skaters recorded 6.8 takeaways per game and allowed 9.9 giveaways per game.
Philadelphia skaters converted 5.7 takeaways per game while allowing 9.2 giveaways per game in 2017-18
- Baltimore Ravens vs. Los Angeles Chargers – Week 16 Free Betting Pick - December 19, 2018
- Northern Arizona Lumberjacks at San Francisco Dons Free Preview 12/19/18 - December 19, 2018
- North Carolina Central Eagles vs. Saint Louis Billikens Free Preview 12/19/18 - December 19, 2018
- Old Dominion Monarchs at Richmond Spiders Free Preview 12/19/18 - December 19, 2018
- Idaho State Bengals vs. Utah Valley Wolverines Odds Preview 12/19/18 - December 19, 2018
- Cornell Big Red vs. Toledo Rockets Odds Preview 12/19/18 - December 19, 2018
- Hofstra Pride vs. Stony Brook Seawolves ATS Preview 12/19/18 - December 19, 2018
- California Baptist Lancers at Southern University Jaguars ATS Preview 12/19/18 - December 19, 2018
- Alabama A&M Bulldogs vs. South Alabama Jaguars Odds Preview 12/19/18 - December 19, 2018
- Texas Southern Tigers vs. Lamar Cardinals Free Preview 12/19/18 - December 19, 2018