LeBron James now plays for the Los Angeles Lakers. Left with little beyond veterans like Kevin Love and Kyle Korver, Cleveland’s title hopes appear nonexistent for the foreseeable future. So, where do the Cavs go from the here?
Apparently, they’re open to moving Korver — in fact, they may be actively seeking out such a move.
“I hear the Cavs are looking to move Korver,” reports Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
Korver was one of the Cavs’ best players in the postseason, but he’s 37. He’s still a knockdown shooter, but he doesn’t seem to fit on a team headed into rebuilding mode.
With that said, he isn’t playing on a terrible deal. The Cavs are set to pay Korver $7.56 million next year. He is also under contract for the following season.
Furthmore, second-year Cavs General Manager Koby Altman told the media at Summer League that he does not intent to trade Love. He said such a move wouldn’t make the team better.
Pluto spoke with a “well-known NBA executive” who said he wouldn’t be surprised if Cleveland held onto Love — for now, at least.
“Unless they get blown away by an offer, I think they’ll open the season with Love,” said the executive, per the report.
Though Love is clearly a more valuable asset than Korver, he also commands quite a bit more money. He has one more guaranteed season at $24 million, then a player option next summer for $25.6 million. It would be surprising to see Love turn that down.
Cleveland was active at the trade deadline, but refused to part ways with the Brooklyn pick, which could have helped the Cavs land Paul George or DeAndre Jordan. With that pick, Altman and company selected Collin Sexton out of Alabama.
The Cavs enter this season with a roster focused on Love. The most prominent complementary pieces: Korver (if he’s not traded), J.R. Smith, Tristan Thompson, Larry Nance Jr., Jordan Clarkson, and George Hill.
- Sports Betting Tips With Chris Sheridan Episode 30: The Post-Valanciunas Raptors - December 13, 2018
- Sports Betting Tips With Chris Sheridan Episode 29: Bulls Coaching Change - December 4, 2018
- Luca Doncic is Now Odds-On Favorite for NBA Rookie of the Year Betting - November 30, 2018
- Sports Betting Tips With Chris Sheridan Episode 28: Fultz & The Sixers - November 29, 2018
- Betting Odds for Oklahoma, Georgia, Ohio State, UCF and Texas CFP Chances - November 26, 2018
- Sports Betting Tips With Chris Sheridan Episode 27: Tiger-Phil Showdown - November 22, 2018
- Sports Betting Tips With Chris Sheridan Episode 26: Carmelo Anthony’s Future - November 16, 2018
- Free Agency Betting Odds: Where Will Kevin Durant Play Next, Lakers Are Favorites - November 16, 2018
- Rob Gronkowski almost played basketball for the Arizona Wildcats - November 15, 2018
- NBA Futures: Butler Trade Significantly Increases 76ers’ Title Odds - November 10, 2018