Check out the news that highlighted the day in the MLB.
Tigers’ Moore (torn meniscus) to have surgery | ESPN
Detroit Tigers left-hander Matt Moore opted to undergo surgery this week to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee. Detroit said that they are without a definite timetable for Moore’s return until after Wednesday’s scheduled procedure in Dallas, although Moore said he’s hoping for a recovery time of four-to-six weeks.
“I know I have a tear in my meniscus, it’s just the severity of it I think is a little bit unknown right now,” Moore said before Sunday’s game at Minnesota. “It’s when he gets in there, and that’s when I guess they make those decisions. He can only fix what he can see and right now they can’t really tell enough through the MRI to tell me exactly which type of repair they’re going to have to do.”
Moore will undergo knee surgery for the injury he sustained last weekend https://t.co/c1qEU4dkH5
— Bless You Boys (@blessyouboys) April 14, 2019
Pirates’ Archer drops appeal, begins serving suspension | Associated Press
Pittsburgh Pirates right-hander Chris Archer decided to drop his appeal and began serving a five-game suspension for setting off a benches-clearing altercation on April 7.
Archer was suspended for throwing a fastball behind Cincinnati’s Derek Dietrich and was not among the five players ejected from the game but will serve his suspension anyway.
Chris Archer drops appeal and will serve his five-game suspension starting on Sunday https://t.co/K3cvmldCrA
— Post-Gazette Sports (@PGSportsNow) April 14, 2019
Gonzalez gets called up, to debut for Indians | ESPN
Cleveland Indians veteran outfielder Carlos Gonzalez has been promoted by the team will make his season debut on Sunday against the Kansas City Royals. Cleveland signed Gonzalez last month to a minor league contract that could pay him up to $3 million depending on bonuses and how much time he spends on Cleveland’s 40-man roster.
He started this season at Triple-A Columbus, and now will play left field and bat third in Cleveland’s lineup against Kansas City right-hander Jakob Junis.
A few moving pieces:
– Selected the contract of OF Carlos González from Triple-A Columbus
– Optioned RHP Jefry Rodríguez to Triple-A Columbus
– Transferred RHP Mike Clevinger to 60-day IL
Welcome to Cleveland, CarGo! pic.twitter.com/5G8Jz8wnqq
— Cleveland Indians (@Indians) April 14, 2019
Mets analyst Darling: Surgery set for ‘large mass’ in chest | Associated Press
Ron Darling, the New York Mets announcer says he will have surgery next week to remove a “large mass in my chest” and he’s hoping to return to the broadcast booth the following month. The longtime SNY analyst made the announcement during the broadcast of the Mets vs. Braves game in Atlanta.
Breaking: Ron Darling is taking a leave of absence from the SNY booth to focus on his health. He will undergo surgery next week, and hopes to be back as soon as next month.
Please keep him in your thoughts.
— Anthony DiComo (@AnthonyDiComo) April 14, 2019
Benintendi exits after fouling ball off foot | ESPN
The Boston Red Sox’s Andrew Benintendi left the game against the Baltimore Orioles after fouling a ball off his right foot. Benintendi went to the ground in pain after the foul in the third inning and experienced trouble putting weight on his foot when he got up and lightly jogged down the first baseline.
Meanwhile, in baseball, Andrew Benintendi fouled a ball v hard off his right foot, crumpled to the ground, stayed there for a long time, then got up, walked a little, jogged a little, stayed in and hit a double.
— Nora Princiotti (@NoraPrinciotti) April 14, 2019
- Avenatti Accused of Embezzling, Celtics Sweep the Pacers and More - April 22, 2019
- Top Posts from Kevin Durant, Gordon Hayward and More - April 22, 2019
- Top Posts from Tomas Hertl, Timo Meier and More - April 22, 2019
- DeRozan Gets a $25,000 Fine, Embiid Calls Dudley ‘A Nobody’ and More - April 21, 2019
- Top Posts from JuJu Smith-Schuster, Adam Schefter and More - April 21, 2019
- Top Posts from Tyson Jost, the St. Louis Blues and More - April 21, 2019
- Top Posts from Dirk Nowitzki, the Orlando Magic and More - April 21, 2019
- Top Posts from Christian Yelich, Branden Kline and More - April 21, 2019
- Aaron Judge Suffers Oblique Injury, Albert Pujols Records his 1,993rd RBI and More - April 21, 2019
- Embiid Doubtful to Face Brooklyn, Irving Drove Celtics Forward and More - April 20, 2019