Capital One Arena is playing host to an East-West clash as the Vegas Golden Knights take on the Washington Capitals. This one will get started at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, October 10 and it can be seen live on NBC Sports Network.
Vegas Golden Knights vs. Washington Capitals Odds
Washington is 1-1 straight up (SU) and has yet to earn moneyline bettors any units (positive or negative) in 2018-19. That early-season winning percentage is a regression from the 49-33 record that the team managed during last year’s regular season campaign.
The Capitals have successfully converted on 50.0 percent of their power play chances thus far. That’s a big improvement from last year, when they were ranked fifth in the league by scoring on 24.1 percent of their extra-man chances. Their penalty kill has fallen off significantly year-over-year as they’ve gone from successfully defending 79.4 percent of opponents’ power plays (ranked 19th overall last season) to 75.0 percent this year.
The Capitals, as a collective unit, have been called for penalties 5.0 times per game this season. Last year, that number was at 4.0, the figure in the league. After serving an average of 9.5 penalty minutes per game a year ago, the team’s had to stave off opponent power plays for a whopping 13.0 minutes per matchup this season.
Averaging 29.5 saves per game with a .894 save percentage, Braden Holtby (1-1-1) has been the top option in goal for the Caps this season.
Vegas is 1-2 straight up (SU) and has lost 2.3 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through three regular season contests, two of its games have gone over the total, while one has gone under the total and none have pushed. As the visiting team so far, the Golden Knights are 1-1 SU.
The Knights have scored on 0.0 percent of their power play chances this year after successfully converting on 21.0 percent of their extra-man opportunities last season (a percentage that was right at league average). The team has gone from killing off 81.3 percent of opponents’ power plays (ranked ninth overall last season) to 75.0 percent in 2018-19.
Vegas’ skaters have been penalized 3.3 times per game this season, a number that is pretty close to the 3.6 penalties per game given up last year. After serving an average of 7.9 penalty minutes per game a season ago the team has been forced to kill penalties for 7.7 minutes per matchup this year.
Marc-Andre Fleury (17.7 saves per game) has been the main choice in the net for Vegas. Fleury owns a 1-2 record, while registering a .841 save percentage and 3.93 goals against average this year.
Leading the offensive attack for the visiting Golden Knights will be Jonathan Marchessault (two goals, two assists) and William Karlsson (zero goals, two assists).
Vegas Golden Knights at Washington Capitals Betting Predictions
Prediction: SU Winner – Capitals, O/U – Over
Washington was 3-1 in in shootouts last season. Vegas went 4-3 in games that went to a shootout.
Vegas has yet to win a game by two more more goals this season.
Vegas skaters registered 24.9 hits per game last season, while the Capitals logged 24.2 hits per contest.
- Georgia Bulldogs at Texas A&M Aggies Betting Preview 02/12/19 - February 12, 2019
- Davidson Wildcats at Fordham Rams Betting Preview 02/12/19 - February 12, 2019
- LSU Tigers at Kentucky Wildcats Free Preview 02/12/19 - February 12, 2019
- Michigan Wolverines at Penn State Nittany Lions Free Preview 02/12/19 - February 12, 2019
- Eastern Michigan Eagles at Ohio Bobcats Free Preview 02/12/19 - February 12, 2019
- Arkansas Razorbacks vs. Missouri Tigers Betting Preview 02/12/19 - February 12, 2019
- Purdue Boilermakers at Maryland Terrapins Odds Preview 02/12/19 - February 12, 2019
- Duke Blue Devils at Louisville Cardinals Betting Preview 02/12/19 - February 12, 2019
- Rider Broncs at Quinnipiac Bobcats Betting Preview 02/12/19 - February 12, 2019
- Drake Bulldogs vs. Southern Illinois Salukis ATS Preview 02/12/19 - February 12, 2019