There was a lot of speculation surrounding Anthony Davis as the NBA headed into the trade deadline. There was certainly a lot of chatter about the 6’10” power forward moving to Los Angeles to play alongside LeBron James. The fact that the two sides couldn’t come to an agreement definitely hurt the Lakers’ diminishing playoff chances but it also caused a problem in Los Angeles’ dressing room as the players found out which of them were in play.
The Celtics were also serious contenders for Davis and were apparently offering quite a return package. Unlike the Lakers, Boston is comfortably positioned for a post-season run but they could still use a guy like Davis if they want to compete with the elite teams in the league. When draft lottery night happens in May, the possibility of Davis landing in Boston will be clearer. The Celtics could have a couple of top draft picks and if Kyrie Irving bails out on his player option, then Boston could be in a position to get a deal done for Davis.
Which team will Anthony Davis Will Play For In 2019-2020 season?
The Anthony Davis situation presents bettors with a few decent wagering options. According to bookmakers, the most likely scenario has the 6-time NBA All-Star staying in New Orleans. Bookies are offering +165 odds on this happening. However, it is far from a sure thing. Davis is signed through the 2019-20 season and it has been reported the Pelicans would offer him a five-year extension worth a whopping $240 million. The thing is that Davis’ camp has said that he wants out of New Orleans and won’t sign the deal. He wants to be on a team that gives him a legitimate shot at winning a championship.
Pelicans management has a lot of work to do if they are going to keep their best player in franchise history. They should definitely pull out all the stops to keep Davis in a Pelicans jersey because he is much more than just a star player. He is a player that brings fans into the Smoothie King Center. He is also the type of player that might attract other big name free agents to New Orleans in the future.
Bookmakers have set the odds of Davis joining the Los Angeles Lakers at +210 and this is a very interesting proposition. The cat’s already out of the bag and the damage has been done so it definitely wouldn’t be a surprise. The problem is that LA needs more than just Anthony Davis to become a true contender which could be a problem for a guy who wants to win it all.
The Boston Celtics are still in the mix with the odds set at +835 to land Davis. As the odds indicate, Boston is not the most likely destination for Davis. In fact, he has a better chance of donning a Knicks uniform. One thing that bodes well for those who want to see Davis play in a Celtics uniform is that he has said that he would like to play in Boston. Still, a lot of things need to happen for Davis to end up there.
Of course, the rest of the field is paying +275. The aforementioned Knicks can definitely swing a deal but, as with the Lakers, can they really be considered a contender? Probably not. Could Houston swoop in? In any case, any team that can land Anthony Davis before the start of next season will pay a hefty price.
- Will the Lakers land these superstars in free agency? - March 13, 2019
- Where will Anthony Davis play in the 2019-2020 season? - March 11, 2019
- Oklahoma at Portland: More points Russell Westbrook or Damian Lillard? - March 6, 2019
- Boston at Golden State: Betting Odds, Preview and Pick - March 4, 2019
- Warriors at 76ers: Total 3’s from Curry and Thompson - February 28, 2019
- Will Giannis Antetokounmpo record a double-double against the Lakers? - February 25, 2019
- Celtics at Raptors: Kyrie Irving vs. Kawhi Leonard More Total Points - February 24, 2019
- Houston at Golden State: Will James harden score over 33 points? - February 22, 2019
- Houston at Los Angeles: LeBron James total points O/U 26.5 - February 18, 2019
- Boston at Milwaukee: How many points and rebounds for Jayson Tatum? - February 18, 2019