A coin toss is a 50/50 proposition by definition, but that doesn’t stop bettors from analyzing angles for which side of the coin will appear face up on Super Bowl Sunday. There are four props associated with the Super Bowl 53 coin toss and they will be among the first bets cashed on Sunday.
In the last 20 Super Bowls, there have been eight heads and 12 tails for the opening coin toss. Heads was the winner last year, but the four previous years were all tails. Tails has had three different streaks of four straight years in the last 20 Super Bowls, while heads had a five-year streak from Super Bowl 43 to Super Bowl 47.
Both heads and tails are -103 this year. Bettors can also predict on whether the New England Patriots will choose correctly or incorrectly. Additionally, bettors can choose whether the team that wins the coin toss will defer to the second half or receive the opening kickoff.
Finally, bettors can choose whether the Patriots will choose heads or tails. Heads is an overwhelming favorite here at -2500 because New England captain Matthew Slater likes to choose heads when he makes the call. Slater chose heads in the Patriots’ overtime victory over the Kansas City Chiefs, and he told reporters he likes to pick heads over tails because his father, Jackie Slater, liked to pick heads when he played for the Los Angeles Rams during his career.
New England will be the away team for the Super Bowl, so they will be in charge of calling heads or tails. The -2500 for heads is steep, so bettors might look for the other three props to cash in a winning ticket.
Coin Toss Landing Position
Coin Toss Call Outcome
Team Will Call Which Side of Coin?
What Will Team That Wins Coin Toss Choose?
Defer to 2nd Half – 115 Receive Kickoff -115
- Super Bowl 53 Bud Light Ad Props: Will Bud Knight or Dilly, Dilly be featured? - February 3, 2019
- Super Bowl 53 Coin Toss Props – 2019 - January 30, 2019
- Gronkowski Brothers: Most Impressive Rookie Quarterbacks - August 22, 2018
- NFL Preseason Week 3: Cincinnati Bengals at Buffalo Bills Betting Preview and Pick - August 21, 2018
- Gronkowski Brothers: NFC Betting Picks - August 17, 2018
- NFL Preseason Betting: Raiders at Rams - August 14, 2018
- NFL Preseason: Browns at Giants Betting Preview and Pick - August 6, 2018
- College Football Over/Under: Big 10 East Best Bets - July 12, 2018
- College Football Over/Under: Big 10 West Best Bets - July 11, 2018
- College Football Over/Under: MAC West Best Bets - July 10, 2018