There is no other event in the world that generates buzz in the online sports betting community than the Super Bowl. From betting on the actual game, to prop bets that focus on everything from the opening coin toss to what color Gatorade will be dumped on the head of the winning coach, there are more Super Bowl wagers available to bet than any other single event in the world. One intriguing prop bet that caught our attention is whether there will be a made field goal from 50 yards or beyond. Remember, the kicker has to actually make the field goal in order for the bet to be considered a winner. Here is a look at both kickers and where the smart money is for betting the Super Bowl prop for field goal distance.
Steven Gostkowski, New England Patriots
Despite a relatively strong career converting field goal attempts, Gostkowski struggled to convert long attempts this season. Gostkowski converted just two of his five field goal attempts from 50 yards or beyond. However, it should be noted that all five of those attempts came in outdoor stadiums, unlike the Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta where Super Bowl 53 will be played. Gostkowski has made some clutch kicks throughout his career. It will be interesting to see if he is called upon to kick a long field goal in this year’s Super Bowl.
Greg Zuerlein, Los Angeles Rams
Zuerlein fared better than Gostkowski on long field goal attempts this season. That’s probably one of the reasons why he was called on to kick more long field goals than Gostkowski this year. Zuerlein went 4-of-6 on field goal attempts from 50 yards or beyond during the regular season. Surprisingly, each of his two misses from 50 yards or beyond occurred in indoor stadiums. Of course, there will be a lot more on the line if Zuerlein is asked to kick a long field goal at Super Bowl 53. It’s also worth noting that he just kicked a 57-yard field goal with the game on the line in overtime of last week’s NFC Championship game win over the New Orleans Saints to send the Rams to the Super Bowl. The biggest question with Zuerlein is whether he will be called on to kick a long field goal in Super Bowl 53.
One of the biggest question marks surrounding this prop bet is whether either kicker will get a chance. However, both Sean McVay and Bill Belichick have shown a willingness to give their kicker a chance in these types of situations. Also, Zuerlein just kicked a 57-yard attempt in last week’s win over the Saints, so McVay should be confident in him. Factor in an attractive price tag of +110 and it makes sense to take a chance on the Yes and hope for the big field goal. There is a very good chance this ends up being a very close game so that 50-plus yard field goal could very well be the one that decides the outcome in this contest.
Pick: Bet On ‘Yes’ at +110 Field Goal Attempt Over 50
- How Many More Majors Will Tiger Woods Win In 2019? - March 15, 2019
- AAF Betting: Arizona at Orlando Preview and Pick - March 14, 2019
- AAF Betting: Memphis at Salt Lake Preview and Pick - March 14, 2019
- Best Bets to Win The Players Championship - March 12, 2019
- Best Bets to Win The Arnold Palmer Invitational - March 8, 2019
- AAF Betting: Salt Lake at San Diego Preview and Pick - March 7, 2019
- Will Kyrie Irving Sign With The New York Knicks Before The 2019-20 Season? - March 4, 2019
- Who Will Be The San Francisco Giants Manager In 2020? - March 4, 2019
- NFL Football Betting: Which Team Will Sign Le’Veon Bell? - March 1, 2019
- AAF Betting: Atlanta at Arizona Betting Odds, Preview and Pick - February 28, 2019