19-year-old shooting guard Lonnie Walker entered Miami as a five-star recruit. The 6-foot-5 Pennsylvania native was one of the Atlantic Coast Conference’s best freshmen and one of the Hurricanes’ best offensive weapons. After one year in South Beach, Walker has declared for the NBA Draft.
He shared the news on Twitter Wednesday night.
“I’m making a decision that I thought would never come true,” he wrote. “After reviewing my options with family and coaches, I’ve decided to enter the 2018 NBA Draft and will hire an agent.”
Just a kid from Reading 🙏🏾 pic.twitter.com/fsJ2PGcdSB
— Bruce Lee 🤘🏾 (@lonniewalker_4) April 4, 2018
Miami was a No. 6 seed in the NCAA Tournament, but it drew an unfortunate first-round opponent: No. 11 Loyola-Chicago. The Ramblers upset the Hurricanes and advanced all the way to the Final Four. In Walker’s final collegiate game, he scored 12 points on 12 shots.
Walker is projected as a mid-first-round pick. NBADraft.net currently has him slotted at No. 15. He is an athletic wing who can score, so he presents a package NBA teams covet. He also has a 6-foot-10 wingspan, so you know Jay Bilas will love him. Oh, and he also has the Clutch Gene.
ICE. WATER. IN. HIS. VEINS.
— FOX Sports South (@FOXSportsSouth) February 24, 2018
Walker played in 32 games this season and averaged 11.5 points, 2.6 rebounds, and 1.9 assists per game. He shot 34.6 percent from three-point range and 73.8 percent from the line.
He doesn’t always have the best shot selection, but when he’s feeling it, he can really score. Jim Larranaga inserted him into his starting lineup midway through the season. Shortly thereafter, Walker hung 25 and 23 on Louisville and Florida State, respectively.
Walker was the 16th-ranked prospect in the Class of 2017. Other top-ranked prospects from that class who are expected to go at the top of the NBA Draft: DeAndre Ayton, Marvin Bagley III, and Michael Porter Jr.
- Betting Odds: Will The Tennessee Titans Make The Playoffs? - December 18, 2018
- Betting Odds: Will The Indianapolis Colts Make The Playoffs? - December 18, 2018
- Sports Betting Tips With Chris Sheridan Episode 30: The Post-Valanciunas Raptors - December 16, 2018
- Sports Betting Tips With Chris Sheridan Episode 29: Bulls Coaching Change - December 4, 2018
- Luca Doncic is Now Odds-On Favorite for NBA Rookie of the Year Betting - November 30, 2018
- Sports Betting Tips With Chris Sheridan Episode 28: Fultz & The Sixers - November 29, 2018
- Betting Odds for Oklahoma, Georgia, Ohio State, UCF and Texas CFP Chances - November 26, 2018
- Sports Betting Tips With Chris Sheridan Episode 27: Tiger-Phil Showdown - November 22, 2018
- Sports Betting Tips With Chris Sheridan Episode 26: Carmelo Anthony’s Future - November 16, 2018
- Free Agency Betting Odds: Where Will Kevin Durant Play Next, Lakers Are Favorites - November 16, 2018