19-year-old shooting guard Lonnie Walker entered Miami as a five-star recruit. The 6-foot-5 Pennsylvania native was one of the Atlantic Coast Conference’s best freshmen and one of the Hurricanes’ best offensive weapons. After one year in South Beach, Walker has declared for the NBA Draft.
He shared the news on Twitter Wednesday night.
“I’m making a decision that I thought would never come true,” he wrote. “After reviewing my options with family and coaches, I’ve decided to enter the 2018 NBA Draft and will hire an agent.”
Just a kid from Reading 🙏🏾 pic.twitter.com/fsJ2PGcdSB
— Bruce Lee 🤘🏾 (@lonniewalker_4) April 4, 2018
Miami was a No. 6 seed in the NCAA Tournament, but it drew an unfortunate first-round opponent: No. 11 Loyola-Chicago. The Ramblers upset the Hurricanes and advanced all the way to the Final Four. In Walker’s final collegiate game, he scored 12 points on 12 shots.
Walker is projected as a mid-first-round pick. NBADraft.net currently has him slotted at No. 15. He is an athletic wing who can score, so he presents a package NBA teams covet. He also has a 6-foot-10 wingspan, so you know Jay Bilas will love him. Oh, and he also has the Clutch Gene.
ICE. WATER. IN. HIS. VEINS.
— FOX Sports South (@FOXSportsSouth) February 24, 2018
Walker played in 32 games this season and averaged 11.5 points, 2.6 rebounds, and 1.9 assists per game. He shot 34.6 percent from three-point range and 73.8 percent from the line.
He doesn’t always have the best shot selection, but when he’s feeling it, he can really score. Jim Larranaga inserted him into his starting lineup midway through the season. Shortly thereafter, Walker hung 25 and 23 on Louisville and Florida State, respectively.
Walker was the 16th-ranked prospect in the Class of 2017. Other top-ranked prospects from that class who are expected to go at the top of the NBA Draft: DeAndre Ayton, Marvin Bagley III, and Michael Porter Jr.
- Sports Betting Tips with Chris Sheridan Episode 5: Kawhi Leonard To The Knicks? - July 14, 2018
- The Rockets Reportedly Made Clint Capela A Monster Offer - July 12, 2018
- Here’s How Rob Pelinka Learned LeBron Was Signing With The Lakers - July 11, 2018
- Kyrie Irving’s Injury In 2015 Playoffs Reportedly Annoyed LeBron ‘To No End’ - July 10, 2018
- Celtics Rookie Robert Williams Has Rare Artery Condition In Legs - July 10, 2018
- The Cavs Are Reportedly Actively Shopping Kyle Korver, Not Kevin Love - July 9, 2018
- There Is Reportedly A ‘Strong Sense’ Marcus Smart Will Return To Celtics - July 9, 2018
- Sports Betting Tips with Chris Sheridan Episode 4: Looking at the Kawhi Leonard Trade Situation - July 8, 2018
- Amir Johnson Will Reportedly Return To The Philadelphia 76ers - July 4, 2018
- Harry Giles Regrets Playing As A Freshman At Duke - July 4, 2018