It’s time once again for the Gronkcast, offering expert picks, analysis and one-of-a kind content from none other than Chris and Glenn Gronkowski. This week’s episode has not one, but two special guests when Mama G herself, Diane Gronkowski shows up to spill the beans about everything Growing Up Gronk. Needless to say, brother Rob Gronkowski, currently the All-Universe tight end for the New England Patriots, shows up so as not to let Chris and Glenn hoard all the fun.
In addition to that, Chris and Glenn go over the action from Week 5 and how they did in their Bulletproof picks. The Gronks both ended September 1-3 and October didn’t start any easier. Chris picked the Philadelphia Eagles to win and cover against the Minnesota Vikings and they did neither. Glenn picked the Los Angeles Rams to beat the Seattle Seahawks by a touchdown and, while the Rams did escape CenturyLink Field victorious, it was just by two points.
Related: NFL Betting Guide
Before the show wraps up, the Gronks deliver their Cappers Cup picks and try to rebound with a couple of new Bulletproof picks. There’s still plenty of season left to make up ground as the good teams separate from the bad. It’s those mediocre teams that cause all the trouble.
While the Gronkcast usually gives a one-of-a kind look at the NFL behind the scenes, thanks to Mama G, this episode really digs deep in what it’s like to be a member of an NFL player’s family in the stands, both at home and in a hostile environment. All of Diane’s five sons became professional athletes, but four of them played in the NFL and, at least part of the time, all for different teams.
Mama G, Chris and Glenn begin with a discussion of the grocery bill while all five boys lived at home. You can imagine that it was substantial.
“I don’t know in today’s market,” Diane said. “It’s a lot different back then. Probably most of my money went to feed you guys. It was constant. We never ate out. We ate every meal in. You guys were constantly eating. There were no leftovers. There was no such thing as leftovers.”
Apparently there were four fridges involved and at least five gallons of milk downed on a weekly basis.
Once Rob makes his presence known, he asks the question all younger brothers want to know, basically “Who’s mom’s favorite” masked in “how did she choose which games to go to while they all played at the same time?”
Mama G delivers the behind the scenes issues and rules that NFL families must deal with, in addition to sharing her personal strategies on how to not stir up too much attention, especially at an opposing team’s stadium or around particularly thirsty female fans that might want to meet one or more of her sons.
“That was a major problem when I go places” Diane says. “I wear a plain shirt, no one knows who I am. I don’t say anything. I use my maiden name sometimes…”
There’s a lot to spoil here, so I won’t. There are numerous laugh-out-loud moments as Rob, Chris and Glenn behave as brothers do in front of their exasperated mother. It’s fun stuff and exclusive to GetMoreSports.com.
- Seahawks Want First Rounder for Clark, Watson Might Return and More - April 21, 2019
- Jackson Working at Safety, Goff and Rams Not Talking Contract and More - April 20, 2019
- Bryce Love’s Knee, Falcons Sign Hageman and More - April 19, 2019
- Redskins and Ioannids Reach Extension, NFL Schedule is Official and More - April 18, 2019
- Final Pre-Draft Visits, AAF Files for Bankruptcy and More - April 17, 2019
- Russell Wilson Gets Record Deal, Gurley Knee Update and More - April 16, 2019
- Carson Wentz Still Hurt, Wilson and Seahawks Talk Contract - April 15, 2019
- Falcons Sign Davison, Allen and Fant Take Rookie Visits and More - April 14, 2019
- Eagles Cornerback Arrested, Patriots Re-Sign Chung and More - April 13, 2019
- Foster Won’t Be Suspended, Panthers and Jets Add Free Agents - April 12, 2019