UFC 224 The fouth fight/ co main event on the UFC 224 main card Kelvin Gastelum vs. “Jacare” Souza just finished up and we saw a great fight where Kelvin Gastelum just showed physical stamina over Jacare Souza. Even though Souza showed very well in the beginning of the fight .
The first round started with Jacare Souza coming out and shooting for a single or double leg , and although it was not a very clean shot he was able to push Kelvin Gastelum up against the fence, drop down for a single and eventually get the take down. The first round ended with Jacare going for an armbar which Gastelum was able to defend. But Jacare Souza definitely won the first round on his top control as well as his submission attempt.
In the second round Jacare came out looking extremely tired. Gastelum started to walk Jacare down with Jacare landing a lot of very good power punches, but they didn’t seem to be affecting Gastelum. Gastelum then started to back Jacare up throwing his counter 1-2. He was doing a lot of great work with his stray right hand and causing a lot of problems for Jacare on his feet. Jacare just could not get his take downs going and he continued to look extremely tired, even though he was landing a lot of power shots and body kicks. I would give the second round to Gastelum because he looked fresher and was able to control the octagon better than Jacare .
In the third round Jacare was able to keep up his output even though he looked dead tired. Gastelum did look super fresh but was not able to get much going. He did rock Jacare and drop him to his back but he could not finish up the fight as Jacare was able to get back up to his feet and the two just threw power shots at each other for the remainder of the third round. Kelvin Gastelum definitely looked way fresher by the end of the fight by neither fighter took very much damage. Jacare was bleeding just a bit, but he was not very bruised up and Gastelum’s face looked fresh. Both fighters did a lot of good work with power shots but neither landed anything solid enough to finish the fight. It went to the judges, and came back 29-28,29-28,29-28 for Kelvin Gastelum with the split decision. Very good fight by both guys
I was very disappointed however in Jacare Souza’s cardio however. As a fighter you know your going into a fight that could go 15 minutes and to look that tired after the first round makes me wonder if Jacare is getting too old to compete at this level or if he didn’t do the right kind of cardio training for this fight. This was a great fight for Kelvin Gastelum and I’m really excited to see him go up against Robert Whitaker for the title, if it can materialize.
Click over now to BetDSI.eu to check out all the MMA, UFC, and Boxing odds on the board along with a slew of fun and exciting novelty prop bets on your favorite fighters. Take advantage of getting double your money if you open an account today, with a 100% deposit bonus to try MMA betting on the site. Join the action with a few fun wagers, because it’s only a game, until you bet it!
UFC 224 Full Story & Additional Fight Recaps:
- UFC 229 Lightweight Title Fight Preview – Conor McGregor vs Khabib Nurmagomedov - October 2, 2018
- UFC Title Fight Preview: Daniel Cormier vs Brock Lesnar - August 16, 2018
- UFC 228 Fight Preview: Nicco Montano vs Valentina Shevchenko - August 14, 2018
- UFC 228 Preview & Picks : Tyron Woodley vs Darren Till - August 13, 2018
- UFC Fight Night 134 Main Fight Preview : Shogun vs. Smith - July 19, 2018
- UFC 225 Fight Preview | Rafael Dos Anjos vs Colby Covington - June 8, 2018
- UFC 224 Amanda Nunes vs Raquel Pennington Fight Recap Review by Hollywood Joe Tussing - May 13, 2018
- UFC 224 Amanda Cooper vs. Mackenzie Dern | Fight Recap Review by Hollywood Joe Tussing - May 13, 2018
- UFC 224 Kelvin Gastelum vs. “Jacare” Souza Fight Recap Review by Hollywood Joe Tussing - May 13, 2018
- UFC 224 Brian Kelleher vs. John Lineker | Fight Recap Review by Hollywood Joe Tussing - May 13, 2018