The Colorado Avalanche are continuing the trend of underdogs upending favorites. Colorado knocked off the top team in the Western Conference 6-2 on Monday night, and now the Avalanche have a 2-1 series lead on the Calgary Flames. There were three more games on Monday night to discuss, so let’s get into it below.
— x- Colorado Avalanche (@Avalanche) April 16, 2019
Nathan MacKinnon scored two goals in the first period in Colorado’s win on Monday night, and Colorado got a goal from another one of its young guns. Hobey Baker Award winner Cale Makar scored a goal in his NHL debut for the Avalanche. It’s been an incredible last few days for Makar. He won the Hobey Baker Award on Friday, saw his college team lose in the NCAA title game to Minnesota-Duluth on Saturday, and he just joined Colorado on Sunday.
— Toronto Maple Leafs (@MapleLeafs) April 16, 2019
The ScotiaBank Arena was rocking on Monday night, and Toronto took a 2-1 series lead after a 3-2 win over Boston. Auston Matthews notched a goal and an assist in the victory, but the Maple Leafs got some bad news earlier in the day after it was announced that Nazem Kadri would be suspended for the rest of the series.
The Carolina Hurricanes pick up a massive win as they blank the Washington Capitals to get back into the series. pic.twitter.com/1ymQ7jO9HX
— TSN (@TSN_Sports) April 16, 2019
Carolina rookie Andrei Svechnikov made a mistake when he decided to fight Alex Ovechkin midway through the first period. Svechnikov was knocked out in three punches, but the Hurricanes won the war on Monday night in a 5-0 shutout win over Washington. The Capitals lead the series 2-1, and the home team has won each game to this point.
— y – Nashville Predators (@PredsNHL) April 16, 2019
Nashville took the advantage once against in its series against the Dallas Stars. The Predators outlasted the Stars in a 3-2 win on Monday night, and they are now up 2-1 in the series. Dallas won most statistical categories on the night, but Pekka Rinne consistently stonewalled the Stars to earn the win.
- Makar scores in NHL debut, Avs beat Flames for 2-1 lead | TSN
- Matthews lifts Leafs to 2-1 series lead over Bruins | TSN
- NHL suspends Leafs’ Kadri for rest of 1st round | ESPN
- Alex Ovechkin KOs Carolina Hurricanes player with three punches | USA Today
- Hurricanes come up big in first home playoff game in 10 years | NHL
- NHL Playoffs 2019: Predators’ Pekka Rinne prevents Stars from series lead with multiple point-blank saves | Sporting News
- San Jose and Boston Force Game Sevens and More - April 22, 2019
- The Blues Send the Jets to the Golf Course and More - April 21, 2019
- Avalanche Extinguish the Flames and More - April 20, 2019
- Hurricanes Tie the Series, Blues Comeback Against the Jets and More - April 19, 2019
- Colorado Stuns Calgary in Overtime, Boston Evens the Series and More - April 18, 2019
- Tampa Bay Lightning Complete Biggest Postseason Collapse in History and More - April 17, 2019
- Avalanche Snuff Out the Flames, Hurricanes Crush the Capitals and More - April 16, 2019
- Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh on the Verge of Being Swept and More - April 15, 2019
- Overtime Rules the Night, Kadri Possibly Suspended and More - April 14, 2019
- Kucherov Facing a Possible Suspension, Penguins Go Down 0-2 and More - April 13, 2019